Saturday, March 11, 2006

Many months passed...

Being the World of Warcraft addict that I was, time for anything else was, well, nonexistent. I even missed cleaning the bathroom properly two weeks in a row. And never mind the kitchen floor. What is that stickiness anyway...?

So here I am, the night of my game quitting, and I'm finally able to leap back into this Blog full force. Hehe, that reminds me of my old BB siggy: "I will return... and in FULL FORCE!" But really, I have made a comeback for real! After three entries I couldn't really say that this was an established Blog - far from it. However, now that I have pulled the plug on my MMO crack (and, incidentally, started listening to trance again and talking to people on MSN), it is time to make some decisions regarding my horrendous amount of free time.

Here is what I wrote to my guild (I couldn't just leave and be done with it - that would've just been wrong). The interesting thing is, it was my 700th post on the Guild Forums:

"After much thought, I have decided to cut back on my time in Azeroth. So much so, that I have made the decision to stop playing altogether. I feel that it's better to just drop things as they are, rather than try and continue on in a diminishing manner.

"My subscriptions don't run out until the end of April / start of May so my brother will have that time to play all of the characters on our accounts. As for me, however, my time here is done. I am going to get on with my life and make some more decisions regarding my aspirations and lifelong goals.

"I just want to thank you all for allowing me to be a part of this growing and active guild. I hope that you will all enjoy getting through the BWL bosses and keep putting the other endgame content to good use. 1.10 should make things somewhat more enjoyable for all of your level 60 characters - and the expansion later this year, even moreso XD

"So that's it from me. I enjoyed being both a 60 hunter and mage and the short time I spent playing a warrior and a priest. I can't say at this time whether I will ever come back and pick up where I'm leaving off, but what I do know is that this period of my life is over. It's time for a change and that change means no longer screwing myself up by playing a game that provides nothing but short-term fulfilment.

"Happy hunting all ^L^

"-Tim, aka Elvanus / Gaiwyn"

Going cold turkey really makes some people freak out, turn mental, go crazy - or whatever. But for me, this is the best way to deal with it. I mean sure, I could slowly wean myself off it as it nears the end of my subscriptions, but I truly feel that this is not only a step in the right direction but is also lifting a great burden off my life.

Where to from now? Well, there are a few possibilities. Firstly, I need to decide what to do with the time I will now have. Of course, I will continue to write here - perhaps on a daily basis, eventually (though my day-to-day stuff leaves much to be desired...) - after all, it is great writing practise, which is something I definitely need. That game was totally sucking the life out of me and shutting my brain off, albeit ever so subtly and slowly. So *whew* I escaped in time.

What time I did waste over this past year, I will never regain - so there really is no point spending any more time thinking on that, regretting this poor decision of allowing my addictive nature to be taken advantage of by a gaming developer whose sole purpose is to rake in as much money as they can and leave their customers complaining about the lack of server stability and downtime. GG Blizzard; thanks for the ride XD

I'll leave this for now. Don't want to make my brain explode with too much of such an alternate stimulus. I love to write and yet allowed something insubstantial to minimise one of my greatest passions. I may be 26 but I still have a lot of growing up to do in controlling so many aspects of who I am and where I'm going. However, more on that in the weeks to come as I pick up all the little pieces and begin to reassemble a more substantial reality.

Praise God, I am free at last :)

-Timotheos

No comments: