Monday, July 10, 2006

Day One

I wrote this today:

Day One - Victoria University, Wellington
Here I am on my first day of university. Turns out that I have a three-hour gap between lectures. My first one was this morning: ENGL114. I have a 3-hour one this afternoon: FILM101. No idea what can possibly take 3 hours to cover [except, maybe a film, which is actually what this slot is for - watching a film a week!].

Burdened with a list of required books - works that we will be studying this semester - I managed to occupy myself for at least a portion of this big break. The walk downtown from this campus is rather arduous, but at least it's something to do. No success in acquiring for myself a copy of any of the books I should get before next week. E-books? [Or maybe ordering online from a NZ bookshop ^^].

So I came back amidst hundreds of strangers pursuing knowledge in a myriad of ways, ate my sandwiches, and still have some time before this Film lecture starts [and the same will no doubt be true every week. Time for... study, perhaps].

This couch is purple. Actually, there are four of them, all occupied by people who are no doubt serious about pursuing their intellectual destinies. The amount of people in this place is somewhat overwhelming [and the whole atmosphere is impersonal]. LFG Lecture Theatre. Full on n00bs ^^

Thinking too much about what lies ahead is likely to only increase my stress levels. Right now I can do without worry. I want to go home. [I really didn't enjoy today. Like everything else in life it's just so lonely, despite how many people may be around].

-Timotheos
One down

No comments: