Saturday, July 01, 2006

Rook Takes Pawn

Arathi Basin is Domination: capture and hold as many of five possible nodes as you can - the more you hold, the more resources your side gathers. The first to reach 2,000 resources wins. All the while, each side throws its attackers against the other as both sides struggle to take a node and then maintain their hold over it.

Warsong Gulch is Capture the Flag: take your opponents' flag and capture it in your base. The flag cannot be captured unless your own flag is in its place. With a field inbetween the opposing bases it allows for some great conflict as both sides struggle to wear down their enemy, take their flag and hold it until their own flag can be returned.

That just leaves Alterac Valley, the third Battleground in the World of Warcraft and perhaps the most technical. Alterac Valley is like a living game of chess, where players have strengths against some classes and weaknesses against others. Each side tries to push through enemy lines, controlling each point until facing off against the enemies' Commander - much like an advancement in Chess where you obliterate enemy pieces until such a point as the King is held in Check.

(I've never really been one for chess. My uncle was, at one point, something like the sixth highest ranked player in New Zealand. A bit of a chess whiz, you could say. Can't say the same for myself though...).

When I was in Canada, I spent most of my time in Toronto. However, there was one point where I went up to Ottawa - about four and a half hours from Toronto. The city itself is split in two, as the border between Ontario and Quebec runs through the middle. Thus, there is a French-speaking side to the city: the Hull, where the whole atmosphere is different. As Ottawa is the capital city of Canada it stands to reason that Parliament is situated there. The Parliament buildings boast very impressive architecture. It's a pity that Toronto is such a nicer city all-in-all.

Whilst staying in a hostel in Ottawa - of which I was there for four or five days - I met a few interesting people. There were individuals of all different nationalities, most of whom were in their early twenties. As I mentioned in a previous Blog, Swedish chicks are pretty fine. The one staying there was no exception XD

Well, there was this French guy that I met - can't remember his name - and he was an interesting person to talk to. Despite the fact that strategy games don't hold much interest for me, I was willing to try my hand at a few games of chess against someone from a different continent - from a country and a background so different to my own. Suffice to say - boasting aside - of the two full games we played, I beat him both times ^^

It's a pity we don't beat the Horde in Battlegrounds as often as that :/

-Timotheos
Fully expectant

Kindof got sick of bolding and colouring so many words. I thought it would make my posts a little more interesting but it's more annoying and time consuming than anything. Oh, and I realise that I only just started to weave that little story and then cut it off short. I guess I didn't have much more to say about that. It's a pity that the young Swedish lady was so close to the French guy :s

No comments: