Saturday, April 15, 2006

1.21 Exabytes

/sigh. I'm still sold to the idea that the medium of television / film is the best outreach method. Far too often I watch movies where the characters shoot each other and cuss. I love action because it's alive - but there can also be action that avoids the temporal and immoral setting so prevalent in today's entertainment solutions.

They used to say that email and the Internet was the way of the future. Well, the future we will never see because when we reach it it becomes the present. A few years back, I read a series I own. Otherland, by Tad Williams, is made up of four volumes: City of Golden Shadow, River of Blue Fire, Mountain of Black Glass and Sea of Silver Light. Set in this world's future of ~2050, it portrays a version of the Internet that is so much more than what we know. This is what gives the story realism, as if anyone was to project what we know now about the worldwide web, virtual reality and the rate of technological advance, they would possibly produce something similar in description.

I love technology. Part of the attraction of working where I do is because we sell stuff. Sure, retail really is both stressful and mundane but I can overcome my distaste for my job through reminding myself that there I stand, amidst the ebb and flow of technological advance. Albeit somewhat primitive in comparison to the rest of the OECD, but I can still smell what is and glimpse what will be; imagine what is to come.

So here I stand, awaiting the future. The Internet is a place where most anything can be retrieved, explored, viewed, but in terms of what will be ten, fifteen, thirty years from now, the shortcomings and inflexibilities are so frustrating at times.

We can but dream of the existence where worldwide experience is available to everyone; where 3D renditions, virtual environments, tangible likenesses are a reality. Cinematic compositions (aka movies) are my passion. Perhaps Christ's Passion isn't the last soul-impacting experience for this generation of film-goers.

Embrace your culture.

-Timotheos
Cut and print

No comments: