Sunday, April 30, 2006

Big V, Little v

What begins with V?

Vicious velociraptors, vexing violence, verily.

Remember, remember, the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason that gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot.

V for Vendetta, a lingua franca feast in the sagacious similitude of The Count of Monté Cristo, showcases the swashbuckling story of a mere mortal, regally representing an iterative idea, whose physical features are meticulously masked in the guiltless guise of the dutifully documented Guy Fawkes. The imperilled pawn of repulsive research but viewed as the valiant villain cum stoic saint, his concise courage to vocally vouchsafe inevitably incites the suppressed society of England future to maskedly march upon Parliament proper, as the crownless country is now dubiously directed by a despicable dictator.

With Shakespearian quotes and its own quick-witted quips, stolidly supported by applaudable acting, the dramatic demeanour definitely deserves artistic acclaim. In other words, I daresay I enigmatically enjoyed it. And when Natalie Portman does a British accent, you know something's going right.

To quote:
V: Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is its vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, (not in vain), for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V.
Evey Hammond: Are you like a crazy person?
V: I'm quite sure they will say so.

Evey Hammond: Who are you?
V: Who? Who is but the form following the function of what, and what I am is a man in a mask.
Evey Hammond: Well, I can see that.
V: Of course you can. I'm not questioning your powers of observation, I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Creedy: Defiant to the end, huh? You won't cry like him, will you? You're not afraid of death. You're like me.
V: The only thing that you and I have in common, Mr. Creedy, is that we're both about to die.
Creedy: How do you imagine that's gonna happen?
V: With my hands around your neck.
Creedy: Bollocks. What'cha gonna do, huh? We've swept this place. You've got nothing; nothing but your bloody knives and your fancy karate gimmicks. We have guns.
V: No, what you have are bullets, and the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing, because if I am, you'll all be dead before you've reloaded.
Creedy: That's impossible! Kill him.
[The Fingermen open fire on V, but he still stands after their clips are empty.]
V: My turn.

Finch: Who was he?
Evey Hammond: He was Edmond Dantés... and he was my father. And my mother... my brother... my friend. He was you... and me. He was all of us.

And no, this movie does not incite terrorism - far from it. Guy Fawkes wasn't a terrorist - a traitor to his nation, perhaps, but a man who wasn't afraid to put into action what many were thinking at the time. That's not to say that I condone violent action towards one's government, simply because their policies do not serve the greater good of the present populace. The Bible clearly states that we must adhere to political laws just as much as to natural laws. Our rulers have God's blessing - all they do may not be right and may not be morally justifiable, but we still live within the constraints of law; for without it there would only be chaos.

I pray that one day we will have enough Christian influence in the ruling of our country that people's afflictions, addictions and apathetic attitudes will be eternally erased. It can only take place when the tides of revival crash upon our coastlands and swamp our society with hope, values and moral direction, not to mention the amazing love of Christ and the immutable mercy of God the Father.

-Timotheos
T for Transformed

No comments: