Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Warning: Intruder Alert

I like movies. I think that's pretty obvious by now. It's also part of the reason why I see the future of Christian communication as being in the media area of entertainment. I watch a lot of movies. The other night, I told mum that I'd seen the Pink Panther. She asked me who I saw it with. What's that supposed to mean? I don't go to the movies. That's why torrents were invented. Think about it! Besides, I still feel cut off from life...

I just watched Garden State. It stars Natalie Portman and Zach Braff. I'm sitting there watching this messed up movie and I'm wondering such things as: what genre does this fit into? What the heck is it actually about? WTF is going on? Then, the closing scene fades out and I find an explanation for the whole thing: written and directed by Zach Braff. Go figure. He should just stick to playing doctor.

Scrubs is awesome. It's a brilliant piece of work, despite the lascivious disregard for morality. It's the sort of comedic show that I'd love to present from a different moral standpoint. My favourite character is Doctor Cox: the ever-present facetious, sarcastic doctor who launches badinage left and right, yet manages to stay all too human. Such verbal jousting as this programme exhales, reveals so much of human nature that it puts a university textbook to shame.

I appreciate what has gone into creating the characters and what goes into producing each episode; as a conventional writer, that shouldn't come as a surprise. I'm open to improving my skills by admiring other people's successes and pulling existing ideas gone to fruition into my repertoire of already explosive expressions of entertainment equity.

Movies are borne of ideas; ideas flow with stimulus from such media as movies - and so the cycle continues. One day I hope to write a killer script. So, the man with aspirations to put his talent to good use and express what's bursting in here, wishes to accomplish many things pertaining to the world at large and turn up the wattage out there.

The extent to which one achieves is directly dependent on one's will to succeed.

-Timotheos

No comments: