Sunday, April 09, 2006

Final Fantasy Revisited

I first played FFVII not too long after its release in 1997. I think it had been out for about a year or so when we got it. I can look back now and am not surprised that we found the game to be so captivating. Even now I consider it to be the greatest Final Fantasy game that Squaresoft has released.

There were moments back then, playing it through for the first time, when you got so caught up in what you were doing that you really understood what the characters were experiencing. It took me a long time to discover everything I could about the game, especially in understanding the entire story. Advent Children helped to clarify a few things and made for a great addition to the story as a whole.

One moment in the game really took me by surprise. I really hate it when people spoil things for you, especially in a game - this was one time that I was extremely glad that no one had spoiled a crucial moment in the game: Aeris's death. It was so unexpected that I actually felt upset that such a loveable character was suddenly taken away. It was very moving. That point in the game never fails to bring back memories of my first time through - a time when I almost felt like crying.

The only other time I felt like crying about something of a fantasy nature was in the third installment in the series Song of Albion, when the main character, the High King in an alternate existence, dies, leaving his wife and subjects and being forced back into his own reality: modern day England. It was very moving.

I'm currently playing FFVII on PC. Since I just passed the point in the game where Aeris gets killed by Sephiroth, I managed to take a few snapshots of the FMV as her death and Cloud's farewell are played out. It's still emotional even now. Note that the PC version has been ported from PSX with very few changes (exploits removed, a few subtle textual changes). Essentially, this means that the game remains at a low resolution of 640x480.








This game is still awesome.

-Timotheos

No comments: