Tuesday, May 30, 2006

25th Birthday

What happened to yesterday? Well, I dunno, so let's forget about it; much like I forgot about my Blog - completely.

I was reading through a Writesparks entry - something I get in my gmail inbox on a regular basis - and one of the few article sources I actually read. Often, they give suggestions of things to write. I usually just read it and absorb it but take no action. Yeah, some writer I am... Aaaanyway, with the latest entry, there were five suggestions for practising narrative. The first suggestion is one I would like to take this opportunity to write about. It gives me something to put in my Blog tonight ^L^

My Birthday Last Year
I am 26 years old. Being born in 1980 has its advantages. It makes figuring out how old I am very easy. When buying alcomahol at the supermarket (on those rare, rare occasions), the checkout chick doesn't have to struggle to figure out whether I make the cut. After all, the difference between 18 and 26 can't be all that much; can it?

Last year I turned 25. Making sense so far? In February last year I went to India with my pastor. We spent the entire month travelling to various parts of India: Kerala, in the south; Nagaland and Assam, in the NE part; and Bengal in the far north - and no, I didn't see any tigers :'(

It was the mission trip of a lifetime and I experienced a lot. There were a lot of people - trying to be somewhat reassuring and optimistic, not to mention full of faith, I'm sure - who said that one cannot go to India - especially the poorer parts, like NE India - without contracting some sort of illness. As a person who is not well most of the time anyway, I refused to let this be a truth. And so, in our entire time since leaving Kiwi soil until touching down in Wellington once more, neither Pastor Seth or myself got even the slightest upset stomach or headache. Praise God ^^

On our way over, we stopped in Singapore overnight. That was pretty cool - not to mention hot. India itself was varied. Kerala was hot and muggy, we stayed in a mansion in Nagaland, and the trip through to Assam by car was interesting - coconuts and elephants, hehe :/ We went to Sri Lanka for almost a week. Colombo is a nice place. The hotel we stayed in was much better than any accomodation (Hukato and Dapika's mansion aside) previously.

After Sri Lanka, our trip home involved stopping in Singapore for the better part of a day; my 25th birthday. The cabin crew on the flight there gave me a nice, fat chocolate mud cake. At least we didn't have to buy our morning tea XD I spent the day in Singapore, looking around at various things. One thing you notice is the abundance of watches. Watches and electronic bits and pieces. And they profess to only sell legitimate bits and pieces. If there were dodgy places I must've missed them. Still, I'm sure that it wouldn't have been too hard to find a dvd or two, had I really wanted.

And that was my birthday last year. I was awake for more than 70 hours, from when we left Sri Lanka, until I got home after arriving in Wellington airport two days later. That was a mission in itself. Supernatural power FTW ;)

-Timotheos
Feel it

No comments: